The ancient city of Stymphalia which was named after its first resident, Stymphalos, is an ancient city that dates back to the archaic period. Historical sources bear witness to the fact that this area belonged to the Arcadians and it was built on the north side of the lake. The excavations that took place between 1924 and 1930 by Anastasios Orlandos brought to light the whole archaeological site, a large part of which is sunk under the water of the lake.
Archaeological site of Corinth - Corinth
Ancient Corinth is situated 2 km outside the city of Corinth and it is considered to be a unique archaeological site in the history of Corinth. The first excavations that brought it to light started in 1852 but the most important excavation, which continues to date, was undertaken by the American School of Classical Studies in 1896.
Tel.: (+30) 27410 31207 Admission fee: €6 / valid for museum and archaeological site Opening hours:
Winter / 1st November to 31st March from 08:30-15:00
Summer / 1st April to 31st October from 8:30-15:00
Archaeological site of Sikyon - Kiato
Ancient Sikyon is situated 4 km to the east of the city of Kiato on a hill called Vassilikos. The American School of Classical Studies began the excavations around 1890 and brought to light many important archaeological monuments in the area such as a temple, a palaestra and an ancient theatre.
Archaeological site of Heraion (Perachora) – Corinth
On the edge of the peninsula of Perachora at a distance of 15 km northwest to ancient Corinth there is the archaeological site of Heraion. In this area apart from the temple of Hera we have also found other important examples of the Corinthian civilization such as an arcade, an ancient water tank, a temple and many more.
Archaeological site of Feneou
The archaeological site of Feneou, which was discovered after excavations that were carried out from 1258 to 1961, brought to light a temple dedicated to Asclepius. Many statues and archaeological findings are on display at the archaeological museum that is situated there.
Archaeological site of Nemea – Nemea
On the foothills of the Arcadian mountains at an altitude of 330 metres there is the archaeological site of Nemea where the Nemean Games took place in ancient times. The visitors can admire the temple of Zeus and the ancient stadium that was built on a natural gorge and had a wonderful view and a seating capacity of 40,000 spectators.
Castle of Agionori – Eastern Corinth
At an altitude of 680 metres in eastern Corinth and more particularly next to the borders of Argolis and Corinthia there is the castle of Agionori. This castle was an important stop for visitors because it was situated on the road that linked together these two prefectures. So as to reach the castle of Agionori we go past Corinth and we continue down the provincial road of Corinth and after going past Chiliomodi and Klenia we reach our destination. Coming from Argos we continue down the provincial road Argos-Chiliomodi and we go past the villages of Neo Heraio and Prosimni until we reach our destination.
Castle of Acrocorinth – Corinth
The castle of Acrocorinth is probably the most important sight in the prefecture of Corinthia. In ancient times it was “the eyes of the Peloponnese” since because of its geographical position it had a great view of the whole surrounding area. In 1961 the American Archaeological School began excavations and brought to light this ancient monument that covers an area of 250 square metres.
Temple of Panagia Prathi – Loutraki
The temple of Panagia Faneromeni of Prathi is situated at an altitude of 1,150 metres and at a distance of 20 km to the northeast of the city of Loutraki. It is considered to be one of the oldest churches in the Peloponnese and it is characterized by wall paintings that date from 1466.
Monastery of Saint Vlassios (Ano Trikala) – Trikala in Corinth
Just a few kilometres outside the city of Ano Trikala on a slope in Kyllini there is the monastery of Saint Vlassios. The area of Trikala has a special religious character with many historical monasteries such as Saint Vlassios that was built during the first two centuries of the 2nd millennium A.D. The temple is in a very good condition and it is a tourist attraction.
Saint George Zacholis – Xylocastro
One of the most important temples in the prefecture of Corinthia is the temple of Saint George Zacholis that dates from 1811. The main church consists of 17 domes, six of which are situated on the right side and six on the left side. Four small domes are situated in every corner of the temple and a big one in the middle of the temple. Saint George Zacholis is considered to be one of the most architecturally and historically important temples in the Peloponnese.
Apostle Pavlos of Corinth - Corinth
The metropolitan temple of Apostle Pavlos was built after the 1928 earthquake and it was finished in 1936. The temple, which covers an area of about 800 square metres, is an example of new-byzantine architecture and its main characteristic is the bust of Metropolitan Michael that adorns the entrance. To the west of the temple there is a mausoleum.
Monastery of Prophet Elias Zacholis – Xylocastro
At a distance of about 20 km from Derveni on the foothills of Mount Mavro there is the holy monastery of Prophet Elias Zacholis. The monastery, which dates back to byzantine times, originally had four sides and its cathedral was dedicated to Prophet Elias. Nowadays it is a female monastery.
Monastery of Panagia Faneromeni in Chiliomodi – Chiliomodi
The holy monastery of Panagia Faneromeni is situated on a hill three kilometres outside the town of Chiliomodi in Corinthia. Nearby there is the old monastery, which during the Greek Revolution in 1821 was a shelter for civilians. These two monasteries are characterized by beautiful wall paintings and they date back to the 13th century A.D.
Monastery of Saint Patapios – Loutraki
The monastery of Saint Patapios dates back to 1952 and it is situated at the 7th km of the road Loutraki – Perachora. The monastery is characterized by approximately 150 spiral steps and you have to go up these steps so as to admire the monastery.
Monastery of Lechova - Kryoneri
Four kilometres away from the village Kryoneri and at an altitude of over 1,000 metres there is the Monastery of Lechova with the characteristic stone gate. The main characteristic of its architecture are the original marble incrustations that date back to the 11th century A.D. The plane tree, which is in the middle of the yard, is surrounded by the cells of the monks, the guest room, the well and gardens.